Thursday, August 14, 2008

Bear's Picture

Learn something new every day. That should be a rule. Maybe not something that becomes a chore, but we should slow down enough to appreciate things that we see and do. For example, sometimes I read so fast that I forget to slow down and just enjoy the reading of a book. Zooming through, you may really miss something you could have seen for yourself.

Last night I spoke at USD about new picture books for 2008. One of the books was the new version of Bear’s Picture by Daniel Pinkwater, illustrated by D.B. Johnson. It first came out in 1972. Pinkwater wrote and illustrated the first book. Johnson adds his own twist to the story in the latest version. There is something in that book that I completely missed, even with several readings under my belt. To find out more about it, check out the NPR slide show, but be sure you have the book with you. It’s a moment for you to slow down and learn something new.

No comments: